Here are some sentences to check your knowledge of the conditional sentences types 1, 2 and 3. Should you have any questions concerning them, you are free to ask me.
The first conditional
I Complete the gaps using the correct form of the verb.
- If you _________ (start) now, you _________ (have) enough time to finish the project.
- If she __________ (not hurry), she ________ (be) late.
- They _________ (feel) very tired if they __________ (travel) all night.
The second conditional
II Complete the gaps using the correct form of the verb.
- If he _________ (not easy) so busy, he __________ (join) us.
- If my mother ___________ (arrive) now, she __________ (tell) us what to do.
- You ___________ (succeed) if you __________ (listen) to me.
The third conditional
III Complete the gaps using the correct form of the verb.
- If I __________ (know) that this was so difficult, I ____________ (not try) it.
- He ___________ (catch) the bus if he __________ (walk) faster.
- If she ____________ (have) the key, she ___________ (lock) the door.
The first, second and third conditional
IV First, determine which type of conditional this is and then, complete the gaps using the correct form of the verb.
Examples: If you give me her number, I ________ (call) her. answer: If you give me her number, I will call her. The first conditional
I would be very happy if you __________ (join) us. answer: I would be very happy if you joined us. The second conditional
If my watch hadn’t stopped, I _________ (know) the time. answer: If my watch hadn’t stopped, I would have known the time. The third conditional
- He __________ (not cut) himself if he had been more careful.
- If we ___________ (have) more time we would have seen everything we wanted.
- Tina will come to the party if she __________ (finish) her work earlier.
- If I __________ (buy) a bigger house, I would often invite guests.
- If they study harder, they _________ (pass) the exams.
- We _________ (arrive) faster if we got a taxi.
- If we hadn’t phoned John, he _____________ (forget) what to do.
- Mike will stay at home if it ________ (be) cold tonight.
- Angela would travel to France if her parents _________ (give) her money.
- Your English teacher will help you do the sentences if you _______ (ask) her. : ) : ) : )