In this article, we are going to practice the use of Present Simple, Present Continuous and Past Simple. Also, you will have a chance to do some exercises dealing with the structure was/were supposed to, invitations, Will for prediction, offering help, immediate decision.
These exercises will be your HOMEWORK for 4 December so you make sure you do them. Should you have any questions, you can contact me on the Internet, of course.
So let’s rock’n’roll!
Present Simple and Present Continuous.
Just let me remind you that we use Present Simple for actions that repeat regularly, for scientific facts and something that is always true. On the other hand, we use Present Continuous for actions happening now or around now. For more information on the topic go to:
I Write Present Simple or Present Continuous form of the verbs in brackets.
- It’s Sunday morning and my grandmother __________ (water) her plants. She usually ________ (water) them on Saturday mornings.
- Look! Samantha ________ (wear) a green skirt. She always __________ (wear) pink and says that she _________ (not like) wearing other colours. How strange!
- ______ you ________ (walk) to school every day? Yes, I _______.
- They ________ (live) in London, England. However, they _________ (live) in Paris, France at the moment because of his work.
- We normally __________ (finish) our work at 4 p.m. and ________ (get) home at 4.30 p.m. but today we ________ (meet) our friend in a cafe.
- „________ Ann ________ (sleep)?“ „No, she _______. She __________ (play) in her room.“
- Listen! He _________ (sing). He _____ usually _______ (not sing) in public. What _____ you ______ (think) of his singing?
Past Simple Tense
II Fill in the gaps with the Past Simple form of the verbs or circle the correct answer.
*** be – was / were not be – wasn’t / weren’t ***Did ….? didn’t
- „Why _____Lisa _______ (not come) to the party last night?“ „Because she ________ (study) for the test.“
- „Where _____ you ______ (go) for last summer holiday?“ „We _______ (go) to Turkey.“
- We ______ (be) so tired last weekend so we _______ (not go) out with friends.
- They _______ (buy) a new house two weeks ago.
- The custom officers ________ (check) our luggage at the airport.
- They ______ (not be) at home. They _______ (be) out.
- „_____ you in the park yesterday?“ „Yes, I ______. I _______ (play) basketball with some friends.“
- „Was / Were / Did they happy at the party?“ „Yes, they was / were / did.“
- There wasn’t / weren’t / didn’t a lot of people in the street.
Was / were supposed to
This structure shows what other people expected you to do.
For example: My mother sent me to the supermarket. I was supposed to buy 1 kg of sugar and 3 kg of flour, but I bought 3 kg of sugar and 1 kg of flour.
We were supposed to study for the exam, but we didn’t do that. Instead, we watched TV.
III Now, you make sentences using this structure and the verbs given. Use was or were at the beginning of the sentence and past simple at the end.
- we / vacuum the floor but we / not vacuum the floor because we watch/ a film.
- He / phone / Jane but he / forget.
- They / stay / in a hotel but they / stay at their friends’ house.
Will (predictions, immediate decisions, offers) and be going to
You know that we use WILL and WON’T for making predictions (predviđanja), immediate decisions (odluke koje donosimo u trenutku i o kojima prethodno nismo razmišljali) as well as offers (kada nekome nudimo našu pomoć).
IV Make predictions about the future. What do you think will or won’t happen?
- I think aliens ________ visit the Earth next year.
- I’m sure I_________ get a good mark on the next English test.
- I think I ___________ be famous when I grow up.
- I believe I __________ appear on TV one day.
V Complete the sentences with will and the verbs given below.
go take open arrange make
- „Somebody is knocking on the front door!“ „I ___________ the door.“
- „I’m so hungry.“ „I __________ you a sandwich.“
- „Oh, I don’t have enough cash on me. I __________ to the bank on my way to work.“
- „The dog is barking nervously.“ „I ____________ for a walk.“
- „I’m making a party tonight but I need some help.“ „We ____________ the tables and chairs.“
VI Write will or am / is / are going to.
(Going to is used for our intentions, for something we’ve planned and thought before. (going to se koristi kada govorimo o našim namerama, nečemu o čemu smo prethodno razmišljali ili planirali da radimo))
- „I’ve got a terrible headache.“ „Oh, I __________ get you an aspirin.“
- „We don’t have any aspirin in the house so I _________ get some from the chemistry.“
- „Why are you putting on your coat?“ „I __________ go for a walk.
For making invitations we usually use Would you like to….? Do you want to…? or Do you fancy….?
After Do you fancy you should use gerund (verb + ing), for example Do you fancy GOING to the cinema? Do you fancy WATCHING a film?
VII Now, you should make invitations with the words given below.
For example, go to the theatre? No A: Would you like to go to the theatre with me? B: No, sorry, I can’t. I promised Maya to go the cinema with her.
- go for a walk? yes
- do the project with me? yes
- have a drink? no
Vocabulary (Family and space)
VIII Read the sentences and write the relationship.
- He’s my sister’s son. _______________
- She’s my uncle’s daughter. ___________________
- She’s my mother’s mother. ________________
- They are my father’s parents. _______________
- She’s my brother’s daughter. ______________
IX Translate into English.
- Planeta ___________
- Mesec ___________
- Sunčev sistem __________
- Svemirski brod ____________
- Vanzemaljac ____________
- Satelit ____________
- Svemirska stanica _____________
- Astronaut ______________
And in the end, after you’ve done all the exercises, I hope you don’t look like this.