Here you can find exercises dealing with Unit 1 vocabulary and grammar. You can practise for the test and if you have any questions about the exercises and the test, feel free to write to me.
I Use the verbs in brackets in the correct tense – the Past Simple or the Past Continuous.
- We ________ (have) lunch when they _______(arrive).
- They ________ (ride) bikes while we ________ (roller-blade).
- She ________ (put) on her jacket, _______ (lock) the door and _________ (leave) the building.
- What _______ he _______ (do) last weekend?
- What _______ he _______ (do) at 6 p.m. yesterday?
- They ________ (set) off 2 hours ago.
- I _________ (make) a cake for his birthday.
- She only________ (sleep) for 4 hours last night.
- Mark ________ (break) a glass while he ________ (wash) up.
- He ________ (open) his briefcase and ________ (take) out the documents.
- While we ________ (have) breakfast, the postman ________ (arrive).
- She quickly _______ (put) on her coat, ______ (grab) her bag and ______ (run) out.
- Where ______ (be) you last night? I _____ (be) at home. I ______ (not be) away.
- Tamara _______ (read) her newspaper as they _______ (watch) DVDs.
- Steve _______ (break) a cup while he _______ (serve) coffee.
- The children _______ (walk) in the park, when it _______ (start) to rain.
- I ______ (see) her last night.
- What _____ you _____ (do) yesterday?
- They always ________ (invite) me for dinner while I ______ (be) there.
- She ________ (play) a piano while they ________ (play) cards and _______ (laugh).
- It ________ (rain) when we _______ (go) out.
- Mr and Mrs Brown _________ (have) dinner at 7 o’clock last night.
II Use the present simple or present continuous tense of the verbs in brackets:
- I ________ (have) a test now.
- The teacher _______ (not talk) at the moment.
- They _______ (not believe) in vampires.
- _____ he ______ (eat) his lunch at the moment?
- What _____ she usually______ (do) in the evening?
- He _______ (not want) to move to another city.
- She never ______ (have) a guitar lesson on Fridays.
- We always _______ (go) to the seaside in summer.
- _____ she _____ (know) you?
- What _____ you _____ (wait) for? Let’s go.
- Winter ________ (begin) in December.
- Mike ______ often______ (not drink) coffee.
III Write 2 sentences about the things that you used and didn’t use to do when you were younger.
Example: I used to play computer games a lot.
I didn’t use to eat peas when I was younger.
I didn’t used to wear high-heeled shoes.
I used to wear flat shoes when I was younger.
IV Write sentences about the things Helen used or didn’t use to do when she was younger.
|Swim in the lake
not drink expensive wines
|Swim in the sea
drink expensive wines
|Stay in a hostel
not travel by plane
|Stay in a hotel
travel by plane
|Eat fast food||Eat in expensive restaurants|
- When Helen was younger, she used to swim in the lake, now she swims in the sea.
- She didn’t use to drink expensive wines, now she drinks expensive wines.
IV Use the past modals could and had to in the sentences below. If you have (-) in the sentence use the negative forms didn’t have to or couldn’t.
- He _________ do the test. It wasn’t very difficult.
- They _________ (-) speak when they were 4.
- She ________ (-) cook dinner because he ordered pizza.
- Last week we _______ revise because we had a Maths test.
- The students _______ (-) solve the problem because it was too difficult.
- Mark _______ ride a bike when he was 3.
- She _______ speak English when she was 5.
- When we were at the kindergarten, we ________ sleep before lunch.
- They _______ show their passports to the policemen.
- He _______ (-) go out with his friends because he ________ revise for the exam.
- On holiday, I _______ speak English because the other people ______ (-) understand Serbian.
- John ______ (tidy) up his room because his mum was angry about the mess.
- Geography is easy for Trish so she _________ (-) revise for the test last week.
- We were late for the concert so we _______ (run) all the way to the concert hall.
- Josh had an important business meeting on Friday morning so he ______ (-) go to bed late on Thursday.
- Mia broke her arm so she _______(-) play in the final match.
V Use the correct form of be going to or will.
- A: I’m so hungry. B: I _________ buy you a sandwich.
- When I grow up, I ________ be a doctor.
- After school, we ______ go to a café.
- A: These bags are too heavy. B: I _________ help you.
- Look at that car! It _________ crash into the tree.
- I think they _______ pass the exam.
- Look the sky! It ______ (rain) this evening.
- I don’t think he ______ (finish) the project on time.
VI Translate into English using the words too and enough.
Example: Ova majica je suvise siroka. Ona nije dovoljno tesna.
This T-shirt is too loose. It’s not tight enough.
- Ova haljina je suvise tesna. Ona nije dovoljno siroka.
- Njegova jakna je suvise kratka. Ona nije dovoljno dugacka.
- Moja kafa je suvise hladna. Ona nije dovoljno topla.
- Ove cipele su suvise skupe. One nisu dovoljno jeftine.
- Ova supa je suvise vruca. Ona nije dovoljno hladna.
- Ove pantalone su suvise siroke. One nisu dovoljno tesne.
- Ove čizme su suviše tesne. One nisu dovoljno široke.
- Ova haljina je suviše kratka. Ona nije dovoljno dugačka.
- Ove cipele su suviše skupe. One nisu dovoljno jeftine.
VII Translate the sentences:
- Ovo je drveni sto.
- Ovo je čelični most.
- Ovo su gvozdene sekire.
- Ovo su vunene čarape.
- Ovo su plastične šolje.
- Ovo su papirni tanjiri.
- Ovo je srebrno prstenje.
- Ovo je zlatni sat.
- Ovo je svilena bluza.
- Ovo su gumene čizme.
VIII Translate into English.
- Pamučna majica
- Kožne cipele
- Plastična čaša
- Papirni tanjir
- Čelični most
- Kameni zid
- Srebrni prsten
- Svilena haljina
- Gvozdena sekira
- Bakarna strela
- Vuneni ogrtač
- Gumene čizme
- Zlatna narukvica
- Zvonaste pantalone
- Špicaste cipele
- Karirana košulja
- Prugasta pidžama
- Jednobojna majca
- Košulja sa dugačkim / kratkim rukavima
- Vrećaste pantalone
- Široka suknja
- Tesne farmerke
- Ravne cipele
IX Describe the clothes that the people from the picture are wearing.
Jane Tom Mr Short Pam Mrs Edwards
Example: Jane is wearing a short-sleeved shirt, checked skirt and blue high-heeled shoes.
X Write what you see: