I Write was or were in the gaps. In the sentences with (-) write the negative form wasn’t or weren’t.
- She ___________ at school yesterday morning.
- Anna ___________ at the cinema last night. She ___________ (-) at a restaurant.
- _________ you late for school this morning? No, I ____________. (-)
- They __________ (-) sad. They ___________ very happy.
- Last weekend we ___________ on at the seaside. We __________ on holiday. The weather ____________ hot and sunny. Our hotel __________ (-) far from the beach. It________ near the beach. We ____________ happy.
- He ___________ (-) in the garden. He __________ at a theme park with his friends.
- _________ she at her sister’s wedding last Saturday? Yes, she _________.
- My mum __________ (-) at work last week. She ____________ on holiday.
- _________ they at Mike’s birthday party? Yes, they _________.
- Where ________ you? I ___________ at a swimming pool.
- When _________ the concert? It _________ Last Friday.
II Write the verbs in the gaps in the past simple. In the sentences with (not) write the negative form with didn’t + infinitive.
- Last year my family ____________ (visit) London. We _________ (travel) by train to Calais. My brother __________ (forget) his MP3 player. He __________ (play) computer games in the car. We __________ (take) the boat to Dover. My mum _____________(not enjoy) the boat trip. We _______ (eat) fish and chips in a restaurant. But my dad __________ (not like) the food. We ______ (arrive) in London at 8 o’clock.
- He ___________ (phone) his mother last week.
- She __________ (take) a taxi to the airport yesterday.
- We __________ (not drink) anything. We __________ (eat) some really good chocolate.
- They ___________ (have) a picnic last Sunday. They __________ (not stay) at home.
- My mum ___________ (make) a chocolate cake for my birthday.
- The policeman ____________ (want) to see our documents. He __________ (check) our passports and _______(tell) us to go .
- The baby __________(cry) all night. He ___________(not sleep) well.
- I ___________ (think) that Mia’s party _________ (be) the best party ever.
- She ___________ (write) me a text message. She __________ (not write) an email.
III Write questions in the past simple using Did + subject+ infinitive…? and give short answers.
Did you write (write) you homework? Yes, I did. No, I didn’t.
- ________ she ________ (help) you with your homework? Yes, she ________.
- When ________ he _______ (come) home?
- _________ they _________ (watch) TV last night? No, they ___________.
- Where ________ Mark ______ (go)?
- Why ________ you _________ (get) up so early?
- _________ you __________(bake) bread? Yes, I _________.
IV Write the places you see.
IV Write what you see.
V Write a, an, some or the.
- I went to ________ restaurant yesterday for lunch. ________ restaurant was full so I waited 15 minutes for _____ table. I ordered ______ soup and ______hamburger. _______soup was cold and ______ hamburger was awful.
- Last weekend, I went shopping with my mum. We went to ________ supermarket. ______ is near our house. Mum bought ______ milk, _______ apples, ______ orange, _____ eggs, _____ cheese, _____ loaf of bread, ______ lamb, _______ tomatoes and _______lettuce. She cooked _________ lamb, washed and cut ________ tomatoes and ______ lettuce and made ______ delicious lunch.
- To make pancakes, you need _____ egg, ________ milk, ________ sugar, ________ flour, _____oil and _____ frying pan. Beat _______ egg and _______ sugar. Add _______ milk and nix everything. Then, add _______ flour and mix well. Put _______oil on the frying pan and heat it. Then, pour the mixture in _______ frying pan.
- There is _________ yoghurt in the fridge.
- There are __________ bananas in the bowl. Eat _________ bananas if you are hungry.
- There is ______ sandwich in my bag.
- They ate __________ satsumas for snack. _________ satsumas were sweet.
VI Write some or any. Some in positive sentences, any in negative sentences and questions.
- There are __________ beans on the plate.
- Is there ________ sugar in the cupboard?
- There isn’t _________ Cola.
- There are ________ pears in the tree.
- Are there _________ hamburgers on the plate?
- Have you got ________ peas?
- They drank ________ juice.
- We need _______ salt and ______pepper. We don’t need _______ flour.
VII Write a little or a few. Use a little + uncountable nouns or a few + countable nouns. (A little cheese, a few eggs)
- We need _________ oranges and _________ water.
- There are __________ potatoes and _________ rice in the cupboard.
- She ate _________ grapes.
- I need _________ chocolate, _________ milk, _________ lemonade and ________ apples.
- There is __________ coffee in my cup.
- There are _________ cheeseburgers on the kitchen table.
VIII Write what you see.
IX Write how much or how many
- ___________ bread do you eat a day?
- ___________ slices of bread do you eat a day?
- ___________water do you drink?
- ___________cheese do we need?
- ___________ bags of apples did you buy?
- ___________ chocolate did she eat?
- ___________ bars of chocolate did she eat?
- ___________ oranges do we need?
- ___________sugar do we need?
- ___________ potatoes are there?
- ___________ soup did she eat?
- ___________ lemons are there?
X Translate the verbs.