I Turn these sentences into passive:
- They made some mistakes.
- People always make mistakes.
- They will build a power station here next year,
- My friend will look after my kids.
- People make jam from fruit and sugar.
- Steve has painted the bedroom.
- Someone will give you the instructions.
- They build this castle in the 15th century.
- The headmistress have welcomed the new students.
- A friend drove Tina to Belgrade.
II The First Conditional – put the verbs into the correct tense:
- If he _________ (be) free, he ________ (come) with us.
- If you _______ (not hurry) up, you ________ (be ) late.
- If you _______ (help) me, I ________ (finish) everything by 7 o’clock.
- She _______ (be) very tired tomorrow if she __________ (not sleep) all night.
- Where _______ we _______ (take) them if they ________ (come) next weekend?
- If he _______ (start) early, he _______ (get) there in time.
- I _______ (go) for a walk if it ________ (rain) this afternoon.
- If she _______ (know) his phone number, she _______ (tell) you.
- If your friend ________ (work) hard, he _______ (succeed).
- He ________ (feel) tired if he ________ (go) jogging all morning.
III Fill in the gaps with some of the phrasal verbs from the text Friends in your Student Book and your Workbook page 54.
- Don’t ______ _____ these magazines. I want to read them.
- The cat ________ _____ the tree.
- They _______ ______ the street together yesterday.
- Can you _______ ______ and pick up the document from the floor?
- I’m afraid we’ve ______ _____ ____ coffee but I can make you some tea.
- I don’t know where he lives but I’ll _______ _____ and tell you.
- The kid ________ _____ the tree and ran away.
- He was very tired so he _______ ______ under the tree and fell asleep.
- When she ______ ____ the house, she ______ _____ her shoes, ______ ____ her slippers and went to the bathroom.
- They always _______ _____ from school at 2 o’clock.
- Please, ______ ____. I want to talk to you.
- All this cleaning is ________ me ____. I fell really tired.
- She ________ _____ the horse’s back.
- If you _______ ____, you’ll see a big bird on the roof.
- Students always ________ ______ when a teacher comes into the classroom.
- If you don’t hurry up, we won’t _______ ____ ____ them soon.
- I’ve run of ideas. I don’t know what to do. I _____ ____.
IV Expressing worries – write dialogues for the following situations as on page 63 in your Student Book.
- You act in a school play for the first time.
- You’re going to a dentist tomorrow.
- You’re going on a date with a girl/boy you like very much.
- You’ve got a test and you haven’t revised for it.
- You’re going to fly on a plane for the first time.
- You’re playing in a very important football match.
- You’re going to make a birthday cake for your friend.
I Write the verbs in the appropriate form. (For the Second Conditional: if + past simple, would + infinitive. For the Third conditional: if + past perfect, would have + past participle).
- If they had come to the party, she _________ (be) very happy.
- George would go on holiday if he _________ (have) more time.
- Steve’s brother ________ (study) medicine if he had passed the test.
- If we _________ (hurry) up, we would catch the bus.
- I wouldn’t have failed the exam if I ________ (revise).
- My friend would buy a new house if he _______ (save) enough money.
II Complete the gaps with corresponding words. Then, use the appropriate words in the sentences.
- The critics didn’t like the film. Their __________ wasn’t good.
- Tea _________ in India is rising.
- We have to __________ for the party.
- We heard a loud bomb _________ last night.
- Don’t _________ the situation. We already have a lot of problems.
- We __________ New Year’s Eve on 31 December.
III Complete the gaps with corresponding words. Then, use the appropriate words in the sentences.
- What a mess! This room is so ________.
- Some people believe that black cats bring bad ________.
- Eating fruit and vegetables is __________.
- His eyes are sore. He has an eye __________.
- The teacher is _______ when we forget our homework.
- This snake is very ___________.
- Tigers can be __________.
- ________ doesn’t always bring happiness to celebrities.
IV Write questions for the underlined words.
- __________________________? She lives in London.
- __________________________? Pirot is 30 km away from here.
- __________________________? They got up at 5 am this morning.
- __________________________? He went to bed early because he was really tired.
- __________________________? We have studied English for 5 years.
- __________________________? She is talking to Mike at the moment.
V Write the jobs.
- A s___________ types letters and answers phones.
- A p__________ flies a plane.
- An e___________ knows all about machines.
- A m___________ repairs car engines.
- A p____________ takes pictures.
- A n_________ b_____ delivers newspapers.
- A t________ teaches kids.
- A d _______ w_______ takes dogs for a walk.
VI Write sentences about each job using gerund.
- A nurse’s job includes _______________.
- A brick layer’s job involves ______________.
- An architect needs to be good at _____________.
- A Hairdresser needs to be good at _____________.
- A dog walker’s job involves ______________.
- A lorry driver needs to be interested in _____________.
- A vet needs to be good at _____________.
- A car mechanic needs to be interested in _____________.
VII Give warnings or advice for each situation using might (get) or could (get).
- There are pieces of glass everywhere. Be careful! __________________________.
- It’s too cold outside. _________________________.
- There is a bee in your glass. It ____________________.
- This street is very busy. Don’t cross it. __________________.
- I don’t think it’s a good idea to light fire. You ___________________.
- This knife is very sharp. You _________________.
- Her dog is very aggressive. ______________________.
- I would switch off the electricity first. _______________________.
VIII Choose the correct pronoun.
- We enjoyed we / us/ ourselves at the party.
- I / me / myself came here 10 minutes ago.
- She cut she / her / herself while she was cutting bread.
- He looked he / him /himself in the mirror.
- George helped I / me / myself.
- We saw they / them /themselves in the street.
- She combed she / her / herself.
- He / him /himself phoned I / me / myself yesterday.
IX Fill in the gaps with appropriate phrasal verbs.
- Don’t _______ _______ the TV. I want to watch the film.
- There are many books. _______ ______ one.
- Can you _______ ______ me, please? I want to go to the park together with you.
- I lost my wallet. Can you help me ________ _____ it, please?
- I need to go out. Please, ________ ______ my kids while I come back.
- You can ________ ______ the TV now. I’m not watching it any more.
- _______ me ______ my laptop now. I need it.
- ______ ______ your dirty socks from the floor.
- You can _______ _____ these old magazines.
- _______ _____ your shoes before you come in.
I Complete the sentences with the given phrasal verbs in the correct tense (Present Perfect or Past Simple).
drive down, fall out of, jump off, fall off, fall through, dive into
- The stuntmen _____ _____ the bridge.
- They ______ their cars _____ the street an hour ago.
- She ______ just ______ into the swimming pool.
- The baby _____ ____ ____ the bed last night.
- It _______ ______ the glass roof last week.
- He ______ _____ a chair in class recently.
II Use the verbs in brackets in the Present Perfect or Past Simple Tense.
- We _______ never _______ (go) out together.
- The teacher ________ (give) us a lot of homework yesterday.
- How long ______ you ______ (know) Jill?
- I _________ (not visit) Paris so far.
- ______ your neighbours _______ (invite) you for tea?
- Mrs Smith _______ (write) 2 letters an hour ago.
- Mike ________ (not buy) a new car in August.
- Last summer, I ________ (find) a gold bracelet on the beach.
- Jerry _______ (sing) in a concert with his choir three weeks ago.
- The weather ________ (not be) fine yesterday.
- I _________ (sleep) like a log last night.
- We _______ (knock) for 5 minutes!
- Kathy _______ (have) a lot of work so far.
- They _______ (run) this shop since October 2010.
- Jane ________ (not do) her homework yesterday afternoon.
III Finish the sentences using question tags.
- You can ride a bike, ______?
- The boys are very tall, _______?
- The teacher hasn’t got a dictionary, _________?
- You’ve written a book, _________?
- Let’s hurry up, _________?
- You didn’t see his fiancee, _________?
- Our city doesn’t get many tourists, __________?
- Nobody’s seen him, _________?
- Jill never smokes, ________?
- Be quiet, _______?
- Don’t talk, ________?
- Mum and Dad didn’t like your marks, _________?
- She speaks German, ________?
- Mike drove her to the airport, _________?
- Everybody liked his new song, _______?
- Tom never visits his aunt, _________?
IV Match A and B to get some everyday English expressions.
||a look at (your work.)
||to see me.
|I haven’t even
||to my information.
V Use the expressions from exercise IV in the sentences.
- A: _______________________? B: Yes, come in. I have something to tell you.
- I ______________________ your project. It’s very good.
- My parents don’t like my marks. They say ________________________.
- A: I didn’t write my homework because I watched TV last night. I’m sorry. B: ___________________.
- A: We have to hand in our essays tomorrow. B: Oh, no. _____________________.
- A: I’ve missed my bus and I’m in a hurry. B: __________, call a taxi.
- _______________, the plane arrives at 2.15.
VI Write all the words that you know to talk about hardware and software of a computer.
VII Complete the sentences with some computer vocabulary.
- When youc _______ on the icon, you will l________ the computer programme.
- If you don’t want to lose all your work, you have to s________ it.
- Your computer will save you work on the h_________ but you should b_____ it u ______. This means that you should save things on a C___ or a m_______ s_______.
- To log into your Facebook profile, you need your p_________ and u___________.
- Young people d__________ music and films from the Internet. However, when you do this you can also infect your computer with a v_________. To protect your computer, you have to have a f__________.
- Internet c__________ are very fast these days.
- I have a w______- _____ on my mobile phone.
- I read magazines o________, I don’t buy them at a kiosk.
VIII Complete the table.
IX Use the words from the table to complete the sentences.
- George Clooney is a very s________ actor.
- This test was pretty d________.
- G___________ people aren’t always h__________.
- Many d_________ animals live in the jungle.
- D_________! The floor is slippery.
- She likes doing e________ things so she likes e__________.
- They say when a black cat crosses your way, it will bring you bad l_______.
- Agatha Christie was a s _________ author. She wrote many e__________ detective stories.
- When I gave them the presents, they were extremely h_______.
X Write since (point in time) or for (period of time) in the sentences.
- Sally has been at work ________ 8.30 this morning.
- My brother has lived in Belgrade _______ 4 years.
- I’ve studied English ______ 7 months now.
- We have lived in this house ______ I was 10.
- Julian has known Tim ______ they started school together.
- She has slept _____ 8 hours.
- I have worked on this project _______ last Monday.