Tom lives in a big house. (Big je pridev koji nam bliže pojašnjava kakva je Tomova kuća).
S druge strane, imamo priloge (adverbs) koji stoje uz glagole, tj. oni nam govore kako, kada i gde se nešto dešava.
They won the match easily. Please speak slowly. Mike arrived yesterday.
*** Građenje priloga (Formation of adverbs)***
Većina priloga za način gradimo dodavanjem nastavka -ly na pridev, npr.:
slow + -ly slowly
interesting +-ly interestingly
strong + -ly strongly
Kod prideva koji se završavaju na -y mora doći do promene -y u i pre dodavanja nastavka -ly.
easy + -ly easily
hungry+ -ly hungrily
happy + -ly happily
Kod prideva koji se završavaju na -ble potiremo ovaj završetak i dodajemo -bly.
Pridevi koji se završavaju na -ic dobijaju nastavak -ally.
Kod prideva koji se završavaju na -ll potiremo jedno l pre dodavanja nastavka.
Kod prideva koji se završavaju na -e, potiremo -e pre dodavanja nastavka -ly.
Postoje i prilozi koji su isti po obliku kao pridevi.
hard Hard work is good for you. He works hard.
(Vredan rad je dobar za tebe.) (On vredno radi.)
high This is a high mountain. She jumped high.
(Ovo je visoka planina.) (Ona je skočila visoko.)
fast Mike has a fast car. Mike drives fast.
(Majk ima brz auto.) (Majk vozi brzo.)
early He took the early train. He got up early.
(Otputovao je ranim vozom.) (On je ustao rano.)
*** Poređenje priloga (Comparison of adverbs) ***
Prilozi se porede na isti način kao i pridevi, tj. dodavanjem nastavka -er za komparativ i -est za superlativ. Kod višesložnih prideva dodajemo more ispred priloga u komparativu i most ispred priloga u superlativu. Ne pišemo određeni član the ispred priloga u superlativu.
Adverb Comparative Superlative
fast (brzo) faster (brže) fastest (najbrže)
hard (vredno) harder (vrednije) hardest (najvrednije)
slowly (sporo) more slowly (sporije) most slowly (najsporije)
beautifully (lepo) more beautifully (lepše) most beautifully (najlepše)
John drives fast. George drives faster. However, Ben drives fastest.
Susan sings beautifully. Joanne sings more beautifully. Nina sings most beautifully.
I za kraj, postoje i izuzeci od ovih pravila, a to su sledeći prilozi:
Adverb Comparative Superlative
well (dobro) better (bolje) best (najbolje)
badly (loše) worse (gore) worst (najgore)
little (malo) less (manje) least (najmanje)
a lot / much (puno) more (više) most (najviše)
She sings badly but her sister sings worse.
My brother speaks English better than me.
I like chocolate a lot, but I like pancakes more.
You should sleep more and worry less.
I Write the adverbs using the adjectives given below:
quick, perfect, brilliant, early, probable, hard, badly, thirsty, careful, angry, interesting, high
II Use the adverbs from exercise I in the following sentences.
- He was very mad. He looked at me ____________________.
- It snowed _____________ last night.
- He didn’t make any mistakes because he did the project _______________.
- He understands Chinese ________________.
- My sisters speaks French __________________ because she has lived there for 10 years.
- They got up ________________ this morning and they feel sleepy now.
- Christopher drank a glass of water _____________.
- Mia talked about her work _________________. We enjoyed listening to her.
- Thomas hurt his arm _____________. He went to see a doctor.
- She isn’t here. She is ________________ busy at work.
- The birds were flying ______________ in the sky.
- He was starving. He ate ______________.
III Write sentences with comparative adverbs and than.
Example: Jacob / drive / dangerously / Sam Jacob drives more dangerously than Sam.
- Annie / talk / slowly / Rob
- Tina /work / hard / Cynthia
- Jack / dress / expensively / me
- It / snow / hard / in Russia / in Spain
- Their team / play / badly / our team
- I / love / Geography / much / History
IV Use the superlative forms of adverbs in the sentences.
Example: I like cheese ________________. (little) I like cheese least.
- They all dance beautifully but she sings ________________. (beautifully)
- I miss all of them a lot but I miss her _________________. (a lot)
- All the students did the test well but Marko did it _____________. (well)
- They all climbed high but Nicholas climbed ______________. (high)
- All my friends run quickly but Mary runs _______________. (quickly)
Good luck with your HW. It should be done for 12 June, 2012.
PS : Is everything OK with the T-shirt? ; )